The Thermoform Machine Operator/Technician is responsible for preparation, set up, start and running manufacturing equipment under the guidance of the Thermoforming Coordinator. Accountability also includes ensuring that jobs meet quality specifications, manufacturing standards and that safety procedures are followed while working to continuously improve quality and productivity of manufacturing operations.
Roles and Responsibilities
· Set up and operation of thermoformer and off-line trim presses.
· Startup and shut down of the thermoformer.
· Steel rule die set ups.
· Adjustments to machines to maximize up times, rates and yields within engineering-approved parameter ranges.
· Aid engineering in establishing production parameters.
· Perform change-over and setup duties.
· Comply with all product safety, legal, regulatory and quality systems.
· Read and review daily production schedule for changes and confer with department heads when necessary.
· Monitor and document all process parameters on a routine basis.
· Maintain quality and speed control by continual adjustments (within ranges approved by engineering) of gauges that control temperature, pressure, trim, rolls (where applicable), and speed to material.
· Complete daily reports including cycle time, daily production, scrap tickets, packaging, production, and downtime.
· Initiate troubleshooting and solving mechanical problems using small hand tools to make adjustments and minor repairs. If unsuccessful in making repairs, notify supervisor and or maintenance for assistance.
· Ensure adequate materials and rolls (if applicable) are available in the department for production runs. Follow equipment change procedures and thread rolls (where applicable) into machine (if applicable). Monitor quality of product being produced and make routine adjustments to maintain specifications.
· Must have good working knowledge of materials such as PVC, PETG, RPET, APET AND HIPS.
· Must be able to adjust and set the proper heat profile for material and product.
· Keep general work area clean.
· Perform general preventative maintenance on equipment. Monitor machines for mechanical problems by listening for unusual noises and visually checking gears, hoses, gauges, materials.
· Will perform other duties as assigned.
· Make sure that all product produced meets or exceeds minimum standards for quality packaged finished goods.
· Correct any quality problems immediately when notified by packers, and notify supervisor if best known practices do not yield acceptable parts.
· Ability to use test gauges for part conformity to good thermoforming practices standard and/or to blueprint provided and record results.
· Complete all shift documentation/paperwork.
· Shift hand off-go over status and updates with incoming shift.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
To perform this job successfully the candidate must possess a high school diploma or equivalent. Prior experience working with thermoformer is preferred. Experience in ISO 9001 and 13485 preferred. General computer skills required. Must be reliable, detail oriented, and self-driven with the ability to multitask while meeting deadlines.
· Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
· Strong mathematical and analytical skills.
· Strong organizational skills; attention to detail.
· Extensive knowledge of tools.
Physical and Mental Requirements
You will be expected to frequently:
· Stand on your feet.
· Walk around the facility on foot.
· Carry objects (up to 35 lbs.).
· Stoop/crouch by bending your legs or bending down/forward at the waist.
· Reach by extending the hands/arms.
· Add, subtract, multiply, divide and record. Balance and check results for accuracy.
· Detect quality issues.
· Operate measuring tools such as calipers, micrometers or other hand tools.
· Operate production machinery.
You will be expected to constantly:
· Understand, remember, apply and communicate oral and/or written instructions or information.
· Understand and follow basic instructions.
· Organize thoughts and ideas into understandable terminology.
· Apply common sense.
· Communicate with co-workers.